Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cankubra

Hi, I just enter the rent amount I paid, and the form put $50 propert tax credit. What is mean of that? How did I get this credit as a renter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Hi, I just enter the rent amount I paid, and the form put $50 propert tax credit. What is mean of that? How did I get this credit as a renter?

Some states offer a credit like this for renters on their state tax return. Most likely, whatever state tax return you're working on is for a state that offers such a credit.

cankubra

Hi, thank you for the info you gave. The point is that I made another trial for e-form on a similar website and it did not show up any property tax credit or option. Also I did not find out the source of this $50 tax credit for NJ. So I wanted to learn if it is a certain tax credit or it is an approach. I do not want to make it wrong.  Still it is not obvious for me. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you entered the correct information and completed all applicable questionnaires in TurboTax for both the Federal and State returns, you can expect the result to be accurate. See here for TurboTax Online guarantees.

New Jersey does offer a $50 tax credit for certain qualifying renters. See the following information from the New Jersey Division of Taxation website:

Homeowners and renters who pay property taxes on a primary residence (main home) in New Jersey, either directly or through rent, may qualify for either a deduction or a refundable credit when filing an Income Tax return. The property tax deduction reduces your taxable income. You can deduct your property taxes paid or $15,000, whichever is less. For Tax Years 2017 and earlier, the maximum deduction was $10,000. For renters, 18% of rent paid during the year is considered property taxes paid. Keep in mind that the amount of property taxes paid that you can deduct depends on a number of factors, such as the number of owners or units. Visit Determining the Amount of Property Taxes Paid for more information.

The property tax credit reduces your tax due because it is subtracted directly from your tax liability. The benefit is a refundable credit of $50.

You can claim only one of these benefits on your tax return. If you qualify (see Eligibility Requirements), follow the instructions in the New Jersey Resident Income Tax return (Form NJ-1040 ) to determine if the credit or deduction will give you the greater benefit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies