Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help Needed with Importing Prior Year’s Tax File and Resolving Issue in TurboTax Premium

Hello TurboTax Community,

I recently encountered a couple of issues with TurboTax Premium and would greatly appreciate any guidance or assistance.

1. Last year, I used a different tax software and have recently purchased TurboTax Premium. I’ve successfully completed the initial steps, including adding information about using another software last year and updating my profile. However, I’m struggling to find where to import my last year’s tax file in PDF format. Could anyone guide me on how to do this in TurboTax?
2. Another issue relates to the ‘capital loss carryover’ section that I’ve had in my tax returns for the past few years. In TurboTax, I navigated to ‘Wages and Incomes’ > ‘Investments and Savings’ > ‘Capital Loss Carryover’. However, after clicking ‘Start’ and selecting ‘Yes’ in the instructions page, I am unable to proceed to the next step. The page just refreshes and stays on the instructions screen. Is this a known bug, or is there something I am missing?

Any insights or solutions to these problems would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Help Needed with Importing Prior Year’s Tax File and Resolving Issue in TurboTax Premium

Yes.  There will be many program updates to come.  It is very early.  The IRS hasn't even finalized all the forms yet.   It will be much sooner than a couple months, lol.   Should be ready sometime in January.  The IRS won't open Efiling until late January.  

View solution in original post

You can check here for the availability of specific forms.   The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A capital loss carryover has to be reported on Schedule D, which is tentatively expected to be available in TurboTax on January 10. (That date is subject to change.) Try entering it after January 10. See the Tax form availability tool at the link that xmasbaby0 posted.

7 Replies

You are trying to use a pdf from another tax software?   You do not get much from a pdf except for some personal information.  A pdf does not transfer the tax file -- which is what you really seem to want.  Sorry---a pdf is just not going to give you much, especially if you are wanting to get carryover information, etc.  That just will not transfer from a pdf.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

All the forms aren't ready yet especially in the investment area.  Keep checking back to enter the capital loss carryover.

If you already started a return it is too late to transfer from the prior year.  You have to clear and start over.  How to transfer into Turbo Tax Online, including from a pdf file or other software or from the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

To clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

But it is probably not worth it to transfer from a pdf.  A pdf only transfers basics info like name, address, ssn and AGI.  

Thank you for your response. I just wanted to give it a try, as I thought there might be a feature for this but couldn’t find it. However, my main concern right now is the issue with the capital loss carryover. It’s really troubling me. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Thank you very much for the information. So, is it normal currently to be unable to edit the capital loss carryover or to get stuck on the instruction page without being able to proceed to the next step? Is this the same situation for everyone? Might it resolve in a few months?

Yes.  There will be many program updates to come.  It is very early.  The IRS hasn't even finalized all the forms yet.   It will be much sooner than a couple months, lol.   Should be ready sometime in January.  The IRS won't open Efiling until late January.  

You can check here for the availability of specific forms.   The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A capital loss carryover has to be reported on Schedule D, which is tentatively expected to be available in TurboTax on January 10. (That date is subject to change.) Try entering it after January 10. See the Tax form availability tool at the link that xmasbaby0 posted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies