turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Utilities for my rental are in my name. The renter sent me payments in addition to the rent. Does I include the money sent to pay utilities as rental income?

And then do I enter the utility bills as expenses?  The rental property was vacant in-between renters--are those utility bills deductible expenses?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Utilities for my rental are in my name. The renter sent me payments in addition to the rent. Does I include the money sent to pay utilities as rental income?

Go ahead and report the full amount your tenant is sending you.  You'll need to deduct the utility bills so the added payment from your tenant doesn't falsely inflate your income.  You can also deduct the utilities during those periods the property is not rented out.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardG

Go ahead and report the full amount your tenant is sending you.  You'll need to deduct the utility bills so the added payment from your tenant doesn't falsely inflate your income.  You can also deduct the utilities during those periods the property is not rented out.  

Does this still apply for 2021 Income tax?  I also have rentals and the utilities are in my name and my renters reimburse me for the power usage, etc.  I add the total for utilities to the actual rental income and declare it as "income" but then I expense the utilities out on my expense sheet.  Would that be correct?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, that would be the correct way to enter the utility reimbursements and your utility expenses.

@CaddyGrn

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies