Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign tax credit adjustment

If your only foreign income is cap gains and div., how does the credit adjustment work from a tax planning perspective.   Does it make sense to keep your dividends below the $20,000 threshold?  Can you be in a situation where you get more credit at $19,000 div than $21,000 div all else being equal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@richard's_tax , I am not sure I understand what "US$20,000 threshold" you are referring to.   Generally, once you are above the $400 foreign tax credit range, you have to file a form 1116 for the recognition of the credit.   In such a case, the  foreign taxes paid is recognized essentially dollar for dollar.  However, the allowed credit for the year is based on a ratio of  foreign income to world income -- thus higher the foreign income, more of the  recognized  foreign tax credit is allowed for the year.  The  residual amount of foreign tax credit can be carried back or forward -- but cam only be used when there is a foreign income .   Please can you elucidate  a little bit more on your situation ?

Its difficult to see if Turbotax is treating this correctly or if I have entered something incorrectly.

My actual foreign taxes from the 1099 are $675.  The allowed credit is 268, with 407 suspended for carryback or carryforward, due to the form 1116 calculation.  I don't see a way in Turbotax to opt out of the 1116 calculation. 

If I test the program with a foreign tax credit of $600 instead of $675, all of the $600 is allowed. 

How can this make sense?? Is TT handling this correctly or have a made some input error?

What if I just entered a lower claim (600 instead of 675)?  Would it be a flag in an audit program? Would this be ok?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@sam14 , TurboTax is working correctly ---- (a) there is a safe harbor ( in not having to use the form 1116 and the limitation it places on the amount of allowable credit ) --- it is $300 for filing single and $600 for Married Filing Joint. Thus  when you enter $600 foreign  tax, TurboTax uses the safe harbor  and not use the form 1116..  If you enter over $600 then form 1116 kicks in and the available credit is based on a ratio of foreign income to world income  to allocate the foreign tax credit.

(b) you can also claim the foreign tax paid as a deduction , if you itemize ( but the SALT limits may kick-in )

(c) It may be simpler , especially  if your foreign income is not going to increase year after year ( because you need foreign income to use up the foreign tax credit in future years ) to just enter the $600 as the foreign taxes paid -- there is nothing against  not-recognizing some or all of the foreign tax.

That is my view

Sorry for the slow response.  One page 7 of the form 1116 instructions the IRS makes reference to an adjustment exception that you are eligible for if your income is low enough and your div+cap.gains from foreign sources is below $20,000.  I'm trying to figure out the impact it has on the credit if you do/don't qualify?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Tax planning topics are out of scope for our advice.  You would need to consult a professional who is specialized in it.  

@richard's_tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies