Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Every 1099-B entry imported from ETrade shows up incorrectly with Adjustment Code N

@f4tq It's a horrible frame design where you have to manually use the horizontal scroll bar to find the edit button.  No creative resizing of the window fixes it.  I don't know what on earth TT is doing with 1099-B entry this year.  I'm terrified tomorrow for JPM Chase.

Every 1099-B entry imported from ETrade shows up incorrectly with Adjustment Code N

Same issue with basis adjustment codes for RSU and ESPP trades.  Sent a diagnostic file: 1185744 with Oregon return.

Same issue - been at this for a few hours trying to manually make it work - :(

Exactly this.  Bad input data from E*Trade/MS imported 1099-B.  Deleted the problematic import and input the data manually using "group totals" method.  Side benefit is that Form 8949 is *way* cleaner without trying to list every fractional DRIP share which had been acquired over a couple decades as a separate sale transaction in a batch sale.  I spent far longer beating my head against TT trying to figure out why it had the bad code and trying to edit it than I did just manually inputting the 1099-B data.

PB01
Level 1

1185965 Arizona

Same issue here - i'm assuming this is an Etrade or TT issue - hoping someone can help 

i had limited trades - the 1099 looks fine on paper but the import shows N for all trades.    I bet this has to do with the conversion to Morgan Stanley somehow.    I was able to enter 0 for the adjustment to clear the error although it still shows N on the form with a 0 by it - honestly i forget if i did this during smart review or looking at the form and clicking on the sheets with the exclamation mark.  I'm hoping they correct the issue so i can simply upload it clean again

1186086 - Washington

So how do we log an issue with TurboTax to get a fix?  What's the process?  I can't find a way to do it.

I don't think I know enough to manually enter the numbers myself

This is definitely a bug.  Intuit, is there any sort of time schedule on a fix for this?  I cannot update the adjustment code either.  I swear, EVERY year there is a serious problem with the import from E*Trade.  I was thinking it almost worked this year and wasn't going to have to enter everything manually like I did last year but now I'm not so sure.  Also, why does E*Trade send an "N" when it clearly expects no code at all and that's not allowable?  Seems like a serious bug on both sides.

It will let you manually use a $0 for the adjustment amount after you run an error check but you are still stuck with an N code. Anything post conversion to Morgan Stanley has the N code so it's an ET issue unless they have an explanation why it's coded nominee.  

Sorry, but it's definitely a bug on TurboTax aside from the fact E*Trade shouldn't be sending those "N" codes.  I get the following message:

"Adjustment code(s) should not have an entry when a disallowed wash sale amount is entered.  Remove the disallowed wash sales amount and include the adjustment here, or remove this manually entered adjustment code."

I then proceed to remove "N" from the text box and forward through the screens and then when I "Run Smart Check" it does not save the changes.

It seems like there are quite a number of other people are having this same issue so I'm wondering if this is actively being tracked as a bug.

Yeah, what's up with that tiny, un-resizable window, lol.  Was this designed to work on a 1985 Macintosh with a 9" monitor?

Oh, and sorry, I wasn't really addressing this to you, if my response seemed a bit curt.  It's more just like this is obviously a bug in TurboTax.  Right now I'm not sure if I should potentially wait for a fix or just bite the bullet and enter this stuff manually, which I was REALLY hoping to not have to do manually this year, but... 

Same issue for me.  I imported my data from Etrade.

I deleted N and replaced with B, and then it gives me a different error: "Adjustment code(s) should not contain code B when the incorrect basis box is also checked in Individual Adjustments". Deleting all adjustment codes from the box auto-fills it back to N for some reason, so there is no way for me to get the form correct.

Same issue here. Unsure about what to do about it. Deleting imported entries and entering them manually is not practical in my situation. Assuming the import is fixed, re-importing also sounds impractical as it may require repeating all the adjustments to many (100+) transactions. I tried using the grouping approach one year but then was forced to mail in paper copies listing individual transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies