turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jess109

Can I deduct expenses of linens, bedding, drapes etc. on a vacation home rental property?

I purchased a vacation home in late 2015 that was rented briefly.  In 2016 linens, bedding, drapes, cookware, small appliances etc. were purchased.  Where would these items be categorized on schedule e? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct expenses of linens, bedding, drapes etc. on a vacation home rental property?

Enter them as supplies, if you are still renting the property. Any appliances (stove/refrigerator) or furniture with a useful life greater than 1 year, would be listed as an asset and depreciated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Enter them as supplies, if you are still renting the property. Any appliances (stove/refrigerator) or furniture with a useful life greater than 1 year, would be listed as an asset and depreciated.

jess109

Thank you for your reply.  Can I deduct the appliances and furniture using the safe harbor election on a vacation home?  All items are under $2,500.  If so, what would be an acceptable description on Schedule E line 19 "other expenses"?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You still go to the Asset section. You will then answer the question: Did you buy any items for any business, rental property and/or farm that cost $2,500 or less in 2016? Then work through the section to identify which assets you would like to expense. See this link also for guidance <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3266204-de-minimis-safe-harbor-election">https://ttlc.intuit.com/q...>
jess109

Once again, thank you.  Just for reassurance should the description contain reference to "SHE"?  For example should it be described as "Appliances"or "Appliances - Safe Harbor Election"?  In other words do I need to specify that the "SHE" is applicable to those expenses?
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Spell the entire words-Safe Harbor Election
jess109

Would this be appropriate?  Appliances-Safe Harbor Election
                                              Furnishings-Safe Harbor Election
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Looks great 🙂
jess109

You're fantastic, thank you so much for your help and the quick responses.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies