turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

etippie
Returning Member

Does anyone know why I cannot enter the details of a sale of a rental property on my 2020 return?

Turbotax keeps wanting to remove the asset when I need to record the sale.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Does anyone know why I cannot enter the details of a sale of a rental property on my 2020 return?

If you haven't already, enter the house and all of your major improvements as individual assets in TurboTax.  Then allocate a portion of the sales price to each of the assets (house, windows, siding, roof).

To do this please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal  > Wages & Income 
  2. In the Rentals, Royalties, and Farm section click on the Start/Revisit box next to Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E). 
  3. On the Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own  screen, click Yes.
  4. If you have already started adding information about your rental, you will come to the Rental and Royalty Summary screen.  Click on the Edit box next to the property. 
  5. On the screen, Here's [property]'s rental property info, click the Review box next to Assets.
  6. If you have already entered assets, you will see the screen, Do you want to go directly to your asset summary? mark the Yes radio button and click Continue.
  7. On Your Property Assets, click Edit next to the property.   [If you haven't entered any assets yet, just follow the screens to add the house as an asset.  Once you are finished you will be brought back to the the Asset Summary to enter the improvements as assets.] 
  8. When you come to the screen, Tell Us More About This Rental Asset,  mark the box that the item was sold and enter the date of the sale.  
  9. You will eventually come to a screen to enter the sales information.
  10. Continue through the interview, entering the requested information.
  11. You will be brought back to Your Property Assets.  Follow the same procedure with the other assets related to this property.
etippie
Returning Member

Thank you for the response.  The property automatically showed up in my Wages & Income screen as I've reported it for several years.  I clicked Edit and followed the prompts.  I clicked that it was sold and that I spent 0 days in 2020 as rental or personal use.  It then tells me that I don't need to report it, and wants to remove the asset.  To follow your direction, I think I'd have to remove it and enter the asset from scratch.  I'm hesitant to do that as TurboTax has the history of this property as far as the depreciation claimed over the years.  Please advise.

etippie
Returning Member

Please advise, I have not seen a response since Friday.  Is there not a fix for this?  My asset is there.  I select the asset was sold.  The only thing it will allow me to do is remove the asset.

ajindal

Can someone please reply. I am running into this same issue. 

Carl
Level 15

Turbotax keeps wanting to remove the asset when I need to record the sale.

Remove the "ASSET"???? Or remove the property from the SCH E entirely? I suspect the latter, because you selected the option to indicate "I did not rent or attempt to rent this property in 2020"

Do not select that option, or you will lose *ALL* of your depreciation history and carry over losses.

Give me more details and I'll try to help you report this correctly. For example, when did the last renter move out? On what date (if any) did you make the conscious decision that "I am no longer going to rent, or even try to rent this property out again." ????

If you decided to stop renting in 2019, then did you convert the property and all of it's assets to personal use on your 2019 tax return?

same issue, turbotax has missed the boat on this one.

Easy fix ... if you did NOT rent the property at all in 2020 then you will either:

Enter in ONE day of rental use so the Sch E will be preserved and then sell off the property in the asset section. This allows you to continue getting a depreciation deduction until the sale date. 

OR ... let the program remove the Sch E  and enter the sale in the business asset sales section which means you must have all the asset depreciation in hand and make all the entries yourself. 

Cbjiang

You need to upgrade your TurboTax with rentals and business. In this version, under Business, in the very last line, there is a Sale of Business Property 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies