turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CB8249

Do I owe capital gains tax on the inheritance portion of money invested in 2002 and withdrawn in 2018?

I received a cash inheritance in 2002.  I invested the money and in 2018 I withdrew a portion to build a home.  Do I owe capital gains tax on the initial amount of the inheritance? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Do I owe capital gains tax on the inheritance portion of money invested in 2002 and withdrawn in 2018?

Where/into what did you invest it?  The earnings on the investment may create some tax consequences for you.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
CB8249

I invested in an Edward Jones Account which in turn was vested in stocks and annuities.  Turbo Tax downloads my information directly from Edward Jones so I'm not sure if I am being taxed on the total amount or only some of it?  Seems like the total amount.

See Hal_Als comment below....you're only being taxed on the earnings when its in a brokerage account like that.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

What should happen is the broker should send a 1099-B.  They know what you paid originally, and they know the selling price, so your capital gain is the difference between the selling price and the purchase price.  If you think the statement is wrong, you should contact the broker and ask someone to explain it to you.  

The initial inheritance was not taxable at the time.  But after you have the cash, it’s the same as any other money you happen to own for any other reason.  Anything you do with it is handled according to the normal rules.  So yes, if you invested it and have a gain, you owe capital gains tax whoever those gains are realized.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Using an example: You inherited $10,000 in 2002 and invested it in a mutual fund. In 2018 you sold the mutual fund for $25,000. You have a $15,000 long term capital gain to report. The original $10,000 was not taxable in 2002 or 2018.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies