turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cinyh

Do I need to report? I was gifted a stock (<$4 from Robinhood) when account opened 4/2020. On 12/31/20 it was valued at $33.91. No money received. Report?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Do I need to report? I was gifted a stock (<$4 from Robinhood) when account opened 4/2020. On 12/31/20 it was valued at $33.91. No money received. Report?

You got this as a gift so you don't report this until you sell the stock.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you still own the stock, there is nothing to report on your 2020 tax return.  

When you do sell the stock, you will report the sale on your return and potentially owe capital gain tax on the proceeds of the sale since your basis (the amount you paid for the stock) is $0 because it was a gift.  

@cinyh

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
M-MTax
Level 10

No, the basis is NOT $0 because it was a gift. When sold, the basis is as the IRS says:

To figure out the basis of property you receive as a gift, you must know three amounts:

• The adjusted cost basis to the donor just before the donor made the gift to you.
  • The fair market value (FMV) at the time the donor made the gift.
  • The amount of any gift tax paid.

If the FMV of the property at the time of the gift is less than the donor's adjusted basis, your adjusted basis depends on whether you have a gain or loss when you dispose of the property.

• Your basis for figuring a gain is the same as the donor's adjusted basis, plus or minus any required adjustments to basis while you held the property.
  • Your basis for figuring a loss is the FMV of the property when you received the gift, plus or minus any required adjustments to basis while you held the property.

Note: If you use the donor's adjusted basis for figuring a gain and get a loss, and then use the FMV for figuring a loss and get a gain, you have neither a gain nor loss on the sale or disposition of the property.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You don't report the purchase/receipt of any investment. You only report the sale. At that time, you will enter the value at purchase to determine if there was any gain or loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies