Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunancy

Do I need to capitalize $6500 spent to re-sod, replant shrubs, and repair (not replace) sprinklers for a lawn? Not sure if this counts as new landscaping or repair.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Do I need to capitalize $6500 spent to re-sod, replant shrubs, and repair (not replace) sprinklers for a lawn? Not sure if this counts as new landscaping or repair.

I assume you asking about repairs and improvements made to a rental property you own.

Lawn care and repairs and maintenance, such as the sprinkler replacements you installed, are expensed because these costs keep the property in its original condition

You should add the landscaping project (new sod and shrubs) as an asset, within the rental property and take depreciation. You'll be able to choose to take special depreciation or section 179 depreciation and deduct the amount in full (or choose to deduct it over the useful life)

Improvements distinguish themselves because they add value to the property and must be "capitalized" and then you take depreciation. For more info on this difference, this article is providing a good summary HERE.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I assume you asking about repairs and improvements made to a rental property you own.

Lawn care and repairs and maintenance, such as the sprinkler replacements you installed, are expensed because these costs keep the property in its original condition

You should add the landscaping project (new sod and shrubs) as an asset, within the rental property and take depreciation. You'll be able to choose to take special depreciation or section 179 depreciation and deduct the amount in full (or choose to deduct it over the useful life)

Improvements distinguish themselves because they add value to the property and must be "capitalized" and then you take depreciation. For more info on this difference, this article is providing a good summary HERE.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies