Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Do I have to include copy of 1099-B with Form 8949 for LT noncovered transactions (Box E) that were entered as a summary rather than individually?

They actually want to see the Form 8949 or equivalent statement showing the transactions that are on your tax returns.  The Form 1099-B itself is not required to be sent to the IRS.  You can provide your worksheet or complete a Form 8949 with detailed transactions to file after your tax return has been accepted. 

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet).

If you have excel type sheets you can reorganize and auto calculate for your totals. This is perfectly acceptable to the IRS. Please clarify if you need more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I have to include copy of 1099-B with Form 8949 for LT noncovered transactions (Box E) that were entered as a summary rather than individually?

I am struggling with form 8949. I sold old stock (purchase 1978-2010). Long term transactions with no cost basis. I used an average, annual stock price chart downloaded from MacroTrend. I averaged the highest and lowest annual average cost, and used this as the cost basis for the sale; then entered that amount times the number of shares sold, summaries for each. What in the world am I to attach to form 8949?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@HappWorks Attach your calculation showing how you came up with the cost basis the same way you used to do in school when you had to show your work for a math problem.

themanns5

So, 100% of the amounts from my 1099-B have been reported as income on my W2 and fully taxed; do I still need to file the 8949.  The totals of the 2 types of stock options sold are also summarized in section 14 of my W2.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You have to file it, yes, but whether or not you have to mail in the details depends on how you enter the 1099-B @themanns5.    Have you reported the 1099-B in the investments section yet?   That link has instructions.  If you don't enter a summary, you won't have to mail in the details, but it still gets filed with your return.  

If you're e-filing, you only need to mail copies of your 8949 along with Form 8453 if:

• You entered a summary for one or more sales categories (instead of each individual sale); AND
  • The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than Box A (short-term covered) or Box D (long-term covered); or
  • The Box A and/or Box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement).

Otherwise, if you entered each individual sale, or you entered summaries for Boxes A and/or D with no adjustments, don't mail in your 8949.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies