turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgdimicco

If my rental property was used as my primary home for a portion of the year will I select qualified interest or non-qualified interest for mortgage interest?

Turbo Tax states to select Qualified Interest if the property is your Primary Home or Vacation home.  The home is no longer my Primary Home, but was for a portion of the year. Does this make it qualified interest?

I did enter the information for how long it was a rental and how long it was a primary home and Turbo Tax says it will automatically prorate.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If my rental property was used as my primary home for a portion of the year will I select qualified interest or non-qualified interest for mortgage interest?

It is qualified interest for the mortgage interest deduction and the rental activity.  And TurboTax will do the calculations and carry the deductions to both the rental and the itemized deductions as long as you entered the information only the rental activity.  This eliminates doubling it by mistake.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

It is qualified interest for the mortgage interest deduction and the rental activity.  And TurboTax will do the calculations and carry the deductions to both the rental and the itemized deductions as long as you entered the information only the rental activity.  This eliminates doubling it by mistake.

derosrd

I followed your instructions, but the amount isn't appearing in the Expenses Summary Details under Qualified Mortgage Insurance??!!?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@derosrd The answers to the questions in the rental section might be the factor.  You can divide the expense yourself and enter the correct portion in each section.  Check your forms to view both the Schedule E and Schedule A.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies