DonC1

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

We have Custodial accounts with EDJones for each of the grandchildren.  I am listed as the Custodian and (Grandchild) under the age of 21.  The statements and Dividend reports are sent to me.  Am I responsible for paying taxes on the dividends earned in those accounts?

Thank you,

Don

macuser_22

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

@DonC1 wrote:

Thank you,

Don

No.   If the child is required to file a tax return they go on the child's own tax return.

(Custodial accounts normal end when the child becomes an adult at age 18.)

DonC1

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

Thank you for your reply.  If the children are still very young, 1-10, and do not file, then would I have to enter the values on my taxes?

Thank you,

Don

macuser_22

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

@DonC1 wrote:

Thank you,

Don

@DonC1 wrote:

Thank you,

Don

No.   It is not your income - it is the child's income.   You are just the adult custodian of the account.   If the income exceeds $1,100 then the child must file a tax return.

2020 Filing requirements for dependents.

Single dependents— (Not age 65 or older or blind)

You must file a return if any of the following apply.
1. Your unearned income was more than $1,100.
2. Your earned income was more than $12,400.
3. Your gross income was more than the larger of—
a. $1,100, or
b. Your earned income (up to $12,050) plus $350.

Or Dependent had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. 

However, if any tax was withheld, then Dependent might want to file anyway to get a refund of the tax withheld.

Also, a person that CAN be a dependent cannot claim him/her self and must check the box that says that another taxpayer can claim them (whether or not that taxpayer actually claims him/her).

Note: your state filing requirements might be different than the federal.

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

LOOK at the tax reporting form ... if the SS# is the child's then it goes on the child's return IF the child is required to file.   If you don't claim the child as a dependent   then you need to give the child's paperwork to the person who is claiming the child so they can decide if the child has to file a return   OR  add  the child's income on their return.  

Hal_Al

Custodial Accounts for Grandchildren

If each child's yearly income, including any capital gains, is more than $1100, the child must file a tax return.  The parent can sign the return, for the child. 

There is an exception; If the child's only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on the parent's return (not the grandparent-custodian), using form 8814.
But, it is usually best for the child to file a separate return, as qualified dividends and capital gain distributions could be taxed at a higher rate on the parent's return.