Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost basis for employer matching shares

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how to calculate cost basis for employee share purchase plan scenario:

Let's say every month my employer deducts $200 from my pay check (post tax) towards an employee share purchase plan where for every 2 shares I buy, my company matches it with 1 share. 

Let's say over the last year I bought 600 shares at an average cost of $4/share (my total cost $2,400). My company matches that and gives me 300 shares also at an average value of $4/share (their total cost $1,200). I now have a total of 900 shares.

Then let's say my company share price jumps to $5/share and I sell all those 900 shares. My total proceeds would be $4,500 (900 shares x $5/share). What is the cost basis for capital gains tax calculation? Is it:

a) How much I personally paid for the shares: $2400, in which case my capital gains would be $2,100? or

b) How much me and my company paid together: $2400+$1200= $3,600, in which case my capital gains would be $900?

By the way, my company withheld taxes from my W2 when the 300 shares they had bought were "realized". I believe they calculated a taxable income of 300 x $4/share= $1,200 and then withheld a portion of that already from my paycheck (at my income tax rate). So I have already paid income tax on this benefit.

Sorry if my question is dumb, but I just want to make sure I am correctly reporting the cost basis for this.

Thank you for your help

(P.S. I work for a non US company and the share plan manager is also non US, hence I don't have a 1099-B. All $ numbers above are made up)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Cost basis for employer matching shares

it's what you paid + the compensation added to your w-2 for the employer match.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies