Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss carry over from 2017 to 2018, did not show on my return. How can I claim it correctly?

In 2015 I had a short term capital loss of $10,000.00 and I deducted $3,000.00, and $7,000.00 was carried over to 2016, I deducted $3,000.00 in 2016 and $4,000.00 was carried over to 2017, I deducted $3,000.00 in 2017 and $1,000.00 was carried over to 2018 but the $1,000.00 did not show on my 2018 return while I was working on it. I completed 2018 return and did not get the amount correctly deducted. It show as Interest Loss. Confused in Carrollton, can you help?

The program I used cost & 79.99 is it Turbo Tax PLUS?

Dirceu Marquart [email address removed]

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Capital Loss carry over from 2017 to 2018, did not show on my return. How can I claim it correctly?

Your capital loss carryover may not have been transferred to your 2018 tax return.

You can enter it manually as you know the amount. To enter your capital loss carryover, please follow these steps: 

• Click on Search on the top right of your screen
  • In the search box, type capital loss carryover and click on the magnifying glass icon on the right
  • In the search result page, click on Jump to Capital loss carryover
  • TurboTax will take you through an interview where you can enter your capital loss carryover.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Your capital loss carryover may not have been transferred to your 2018 tax return.

You can enter it manually as you know the amount. To enter your capital loss carryover, please follow these steps: 

• Click on Search on the top right of your screen
  • In the search box, type capital loss carryover and click on the magnifying glass icon on the right
  • In the search result page, click on Jump to Capital loss carryover
  • TurboTax will take you through an interview where you can enter your capital loss carryover.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies