Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains tac

Hi

I was added to the title of my parents home. They have meet ownership and use, I meet ownership but not use. We need to sell as my mom can no longer get around the house due to balance issues. Can I claim a partial exclusion? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Capital gains tac

@Eugene613 wrote:

I meet ownership but not use. We need to sell as my mom can no longer get around the house due to balance issues. Can I claim a partial exclusion? 

You actually answered your own question; you cannot claim the Section 121 (home sale) exclusion because you do not meet the main home use test.

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc701

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Capital gains tac

@Eugene613 wrote:

I meet ownership but not use. We need to sell as my mom can no longer get around the house due to balance issues. Can I claim a partial exclusion? 

You actually answered your own question; you cannot claim the Section 121 (home sale) exclusion because you do not meet the main home use test.

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc701

Capital gains tac

No, since it was not your primary residence. 

Capital gains tac

consult a real estate lawyer. you may want your name taken off the title.  since they meet the ownership and use test they would qualify for the full $500,000 exclusion. 

if that can't be done or the lawyer advises against it your parents would still qualify for the exclusion on their portion of the sale. you would not.

Capital gains tac

Thanks. So any tax is only on my portion? 

Capital gains tac

As has been stated, contact a local attorney that has experience in federal tax law, real estate, and estates/trusts.

There is a possibility that you wll not have to report any gain if this scenario is handled properly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies