turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gains Entry Giving Smart Check Error for Cents

I'm using TurboTax 2020 Deluxe from CD on my desktop.  I had two stock sales last year.  I entered sales price and cost basis in dollars and cents as my 1099-B shows.  I've done it this way for years.  When I run Smart Check, TurboTax says that I have an error.  It says that the amounts entered in the 1099-B Worksheet do not match the values in Capital Gain Adjustment Worksheet. 

When looking at the Forms View, I see that the Forms 1099-B Worksheet shows the dollars and cents.  Schedule D shows only the dollars.  I believe that TurboTax took this into account in prior years and rounded it for me.  I can get around the Smart Check error by rounding the sale and cost amounts to the nearest dollar but I shouldn't have to do this.  I'd prefer to enter the cents since I want my entry to match my 1099-B.

Is this an error that TurboTax plans on fixing and has anyone else encountered this error yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

71 Replies

I have reported this issue to the Moderators as a possible bug in the software.

I am having the exact same issue.  The 1099-B values are exact amounts and the Capital Gains (Loss) worksheet is rounded.  TurboTax Premier 2020 is giving errors on each one (400 errors) stating the values do not match.  The errors are reduced by manually matching the values.  

Hapa
Level 2

I am also receiving this issue. 

Check This Entry

Form 1099-B Worksheet: Sales Price does not match the value on the Capital Gain (Loss) Adjustment Worksheet.

Leave this value blank when using the Capital Gain (Loss) Adjustment Worksheet.

I have probably over 50 entries I have to correct to clear this.

Hapa
Level 2

Just to update, this is occurring on the web side as well.

chevymonza
Returning Member

I have this exact same issue, 233 instances found. This worksheet was created by Turbo tax by a direct import from the broker.

As of yesterday, there have been no updates to the software.  Has the moderator acknowledged if this bug is being addressed?

@starbase1999 wrote:

As of yesterday, there have been no updates to the software.  Has the moderator acknowledged if this bug is being addressed?

Yes, in fact the bug is tentatively scheduled to be fixed in the next update (sometime next week).

Has there been a specific date for this fix?

@JDPowerHammer wrote:

Has there been a specific date for this fix?

Not a this point. Hopefully, the next update (1/28/2021) will rectify the issue.

same here, i download 1099B form TD Ameritrade.  88 errors. waiting for the update. should not happen in the first place.

I have the same problem, using the online version, importing data from TD Ameritrade. I already paid to eFile federal and state returns, hoping the system would ignore the error, as it seemed to involve only the worksheet. But no luck. I am unable to eFile.  I really don't want to manually fix this myself, or mail via postal service, since I am paying for ( already paid for) the automation. 

Hapa
Level 2

If you read up,  they are already aware of this issue. I recommend not filing or submitting anything until the issue is corrected. According to the moderator, the fix is scheduled to be live on 1/28/2021.

I am experiencing the same issue. This isn't okay, a bug in the production during tax season? This needs to be escalated and expedited.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The IRS recommends round up or rounding down to lessen the chance of arithmetic errors. Go back to where you made the entry in your return and roundup or down so that the two amounts are consistent in the 1099B worksheet and Schedule D. Please view this turbo tax link for more specific information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies