Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the stock of a firm providing professional service to the public qualify for the QSB (qualified small business) credit?

TurboTax seems to exclude ALL prof'l service firms.  But the sba.gov seems to differentiate instead between public vs personal services, excluding the latter.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Can the stock of a firm providing professional service to the public qualify for the QSB (qualified small business) credit?

If you decide to treat your stock as small business stock but are not sure if that is allowed, you could file Form 8275 Disclosure Statement explaining your position. Making such a disclosure could reduce or eliminate future penalties associated with adopting a position that is later denied by the IRS. You can read more here:  Form 8275 instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The SBA defines personal service companies as follows:

So, in determining if the business gets small business stock treatment, you would have to look more to the nature of the services provided as opposed to who the services are being provided to. You can learn more here:  Small business stock - SBA

Thank you, ThomasM12.

Yes, that's the bullet point on sba.gov that I was looking at, and it addresses only "the nature of the services provided," as you say.

It just seems odd that it makes no mention of "professional service" at all, whereas TurboTax says "the stock of certain kinds of companies can't qualify at all, including financial, farming, professional service and health-related firms."

In trying to reconcile the two, I was mentally inserting a colon after the excluded "personal services" in the sba.gov point, and inferring "public" as its opposite.

So, although the stock I'm concerned about is not in banking, insurance, hotels, or the other excluded businesses, it is a small professional service corporation, and I'm not sure what to do. There doesn't seem to be very firm guidance on this.

But your reply does help clarify.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you decide to treat your stock as small business stock but are not sure if that is allowed, you could file Form 8275 Disclosure Statement explaining your position. Making such a disclosure could reduce or eliminate future penalties associated with adopting a position that is later denied by the IRS. You can read more here:  Form 8275 instructions

Thanks again. I was unaware there was such a thing as Form 8275. It would seem to be the way to go--except TurboTax doesn't support it.

Well, I appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies