turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I utilize more than $3k in capital loss carryover next year?

I had a sizable short term capital loss in 2021. I understand I can carryover $3k per year until it’s used up. However, if I have a short term capital gain in 2022 that’s in excess of $3k, can I use more of the capital loss carryover, or does that $3k cap apply no matter what?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The $3,000 limit is the amount of capital loss carryover that can be used to offset ordinary income. There is no limit on how much of the carryover can be used to offset capital gains.

For example, suppose you have a $20,000 capital loss carryover from 2021 to 2022. If you have a net capital gain of $5,000 in 2022, $5,000 of the capital loss carryover will be used to offset the capital gain. In addition, another $3,000 of the capital loss carryover will be used to offset other income (assuming that you have at least $3,000 of other income). So in this example, a total of $8,000 of the capital loss carryover would be used in 2022. The remaining $12,000 would be carried over to 2023.

Strictly speaking, it's not really correct to say that the capital loss carryover "can" be used in a certain way. Saying "can" makes it sound like it's optional. There is no choice about how a capital loss carryover is used. The calculations must be done in accordance with the tax law, and there is only one way to do it. The capital loss carryover must be carried from year to year, and it will be used as specified in the tax law.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

any 2022 net capital gains will be offset by your capital loss carryover. if there's still a loss up to $3,000 can be used in 2022 with any excess carried over to 2023

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The $3,000 limit is the amount of capital loss carryover that can be used to offset ordinary income. There is no limit on how much of the carryover can be used to offset capital gains.

For example, suppose you have a $20,000 capital loss carryover from 2021 to 2022. If you have a net capital gain of $5,000 in 2022, $5,000 of the capital loss carryover will be used to offset the capital gain. In addition, another $3,000 of the capital loss carryover will be used to offset other income (assuming that you have at least $3,000 of other income). So in this example, a total of $8,000 of the capital loss carryover would be used in 2022. The remaining $12,000 would be carried over to 2023.

Strictly speaking, it's not really correct to say that the capital loss carryover "can" be used in a certain way. Saying "can" makes it sound like it's optional. There is no choice about how a capital loss carryover is used. The calculations must be done in accordance with the tax law, and there is only one way to do it. The capital loss carryover must be carried from year to year, and it will be used as specified in the tax law.

This answered my question perfectly. Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies