turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jennybee8

Can I upload my rental property expenses instead of manually entering each amount?

I have multiple rental properties and have totals for the end of the year for repairs, cleaning, etc.  Can I upload these amounts instead of manually entering them?  Also, can I upload last year's depreciation information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I upload my rental property expenses instead of manually entering each amount?

Just for the purposes of clarification, TurboTax Online apparently no longer supports Quicken import. 

According to the following FAQ, neither TurboTax Online nor TurboTax Business supports imports from a .txf file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file/00/25642

View solution in original post

6 Replies

@jennybee8 wrote:
Can I upload these amounts instead of manually entering them?  Also, can I upload last year's depreciation information?

If you used TurboTax to prepare your income tax return for the last tax year (or another, compatible, income tax preparation program), then the information will transfer in.

However, there is no way to upload the information concerning the properties (including depreciation) from a spreadsheet or other data entry program.

If you use Quicken or some other accounting software to track your financial activities then Quicken - and lots of other accounting software - can product a "TXF" file that can be imported into TurboTax.  That's the typical route to take to avoid manually entering all that detail into TurboTax.

Just for the purposes of clarification, TurboTax Online apparently no longer supports Quicken import. 

According to the following FAQ, neither TurboTax Online nor TurboTax Business supports imports from a .txf file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file/00/25642

I have Quicken Rental manager for Windows.  I want to input my rental information into a TXF file and use it for Turbo Tax for a Mac.  I imported the data to a TXF, saved on a thumb drive, and used that TXF in Turbo Tax on my Mac.  I get a message that my TXF file has no data.  I am assuming that I'm importing the data wrong on Quicken into the TXF file.  OR.... is the problem that I'm using a TXF created in Windows for a Mac program (Turbo Tax for Mac) 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, that could be the issue because you cannot cross platforms between Mac and Windows or vice-versa.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I thought about that too but Turbo Tax Mac recognizes the Quicken tax file.  Turbo Tax tells me there's no data in the file.  Quicken-Windows tells me the same thing - that's when I discovered I set up the categories wrong.  I'll test with one or two categories and see if it imports just for curiosity.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies