turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lang147

Can I deduct the expenses of a building an Airbnb project while I am living in Zimbabwe?

I understand i have to declare the income when it is complete. So I was wondering if all of the building expenses were deductible as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I deduct the expenses of a building an Airbnb project while I am living in Zimbabwe?

@Mike9241 wrote:

You paid extra for Live.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/expert-review/help/how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-...
5 AM to 5 PM, PT, Monday–Friday

Be advised that even if the customer is a Turbotax Live or Live Full Service customer (and did not get that tag by accident), the Live Expert only provides preparation services for the current year tax return and does not offer advice or guidance or tax planning for future years. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/online

When you place a property in service as a rental, you can take depreciation. This is basically "wear and tear" and is how you recover the cost of building or improving a property to be able to rent it out or use it in business.  Rental property is depreciated over 27.5 years.  The basis for depreciation is the cost you paid to buy, build or improve the property, or it's fair market value at the time it is placed in service, whichever is lower.   You don't depreciate land, because land doesn't wear out, so you have to subtract the value of the land from your depreciation basis.  You can't include the value of your own labor, only things you paid for (labor, materials, and other costs of building or improving the property like permits and installing utilities.)

It doesn't matter if the property is outside the US, the same rules apply.  If you are a US taxpayer, you owe tax on your world-wide income, and you follow US tax laws no matter where the property is.  

Also be aware that when you sell the property, you have to recapture (pay tax on) the depreciation you previously claimed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies