Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the cost of house re-wiring and re-piping on a rental property as an expense in the year incurred?

The re-piping and re-wiring were done on two separate rental properties that have been continuously rented for for than twenty years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct the cost of house re-wiring and re-piping on a rental property as an expense in the year incurred?

No the re-piping and re-wiring expenses for your rental properties are considered to be capital improvements and will be added to the cost basis of your properties and can not be deducted as an expense.

According to the IRS, capital improvements have to last for more than one year and add value to your property, prolong its life, or adapt it to new uses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No the re-piping and re-wiring expenses for your rental properties are considered to be capital improvements and will be added to the cost basis of your properties and can not be deducted as an expense.

According to the IRS, capital improvements have to last for more than one year and add value to your property, prolong its life, or adapt it to new uses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies