paulmrogers

Can I deduct California taxes which are paid only because of rental property there. I live in a different state. Can I deduct these taxes as expenses on my federal taxes?

I own one rental property in California. Because of this income, California state taxes are paid.  In my view, these taxes are an expense related to this rental property.  Can these taxes be expensed on my federal income taxes along with the other expenses for that property?

State or local property taxes are an allowable expense for a rental property.

paulmrogers

This is good info, however my question really is about the State Income Tax which is due as a result of the rental.  If there was no rental property, there would be no reason for state income taxes. The property taxes are a known expense for the rental.  Thank you.