strickett09

Can I claim the use of my personal car (mileage) for a visit to a rental unit/renters, (out of state, one visit) without claiming the car as business asset?

I do not want to have to go through placed in/out of service, purchase or sale information that is needed for a business asset.
Carl

No, you can not. For your personal car, you have to claim it as a business asset on the SCH E. In the program that would be in the Vehicle Expenses section of the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) part of the program.

Overall for just one trip - even if to another state, I wouldn't waste the time and effort since it will have absolutely no impact what-so-ever on your overall tax liability.

MarilynG

If you want to use the Standard Mileage expense, you will need to set up your vehicle as an  Business Asset.  Part of the mileage rate includes depreciation, which is why you are asked how much you paid for the vehicle, when you started using it for business, etc.   If you stopped using the vehicle for business, you may need to recapture some of the depreciation expense you claimed previously.

However, for a one-time trip to visit your rental property, you could claim your gasoline expense (NOT mileage) under Rental Expenses, Travel Expenses, along with any other business-related trip expenses.   If the trip was partly for pleasure, the expenses would need to be prorated accordingly. 

Type 'rental expenses' in the Search window, then 'Jump to Rental Expenses'.   Choose EDIT at the Rental and Royalty Summary page, then UPDATE next to Expenses. 

Click on 'I'll choose what I work on' and the next screen titled 'Enter Common Expenses'  will have an entry area for Travel.

Here's more detailed info on Rental Property Expenses