Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chamindag

Can I claim rent I paid in New Jersey? I Couldn't find place to enter those details.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I claim rent I paid in New Jersey? I Couldn't find place to enter those details.

Yes, but it is not a direct deduction.  New Jersey doesn't list the deduction as a "rent deduction" but rather as a "property tax" deduction.  However, you are allowed to claim a credit on your NJ return if you are paying property taxes through your rent.  This NJ website gives more information:  https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit35.shtml

That website provides that you can either claim a $50 credit (which reduces your tax liability by $50), or you may claim the property tax deduction.  In general, NJ stipulates that 18% of your rent is included as property tax However, there are conditions to this, particularly if you live in a multi-unit building.  There is a link on the website with further instructions to calculate the deduction.  

Once you figure out which method works better for you, look for the Property Tax deduction/credit, which should be in the "Deductions and Credits" section of the NJ state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i pay around 45K rent and turbotax gave me 8100 property tax deduction for rental.  Is that accurate?

Yes.  NJ considers 18 percent of your rent to be for property taxes.

Nice write up
Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies