Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboUser

Can I claim foreign tax paid on capital gains sale of stock, using Turbo Tax Premier? If not, what can I do?

I sold shares of stock in a foreign country and incurred capital gains, both long term and short term. I paid tax on the short term capital gains to the foreign country.

How can I recover the foreign tax paid using Turbo tax or otherwise?

Is the capital gains considered foreign income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Can I claim foreign tax paid on capital gains sale of stock, using Turbo Tax Premier? If not, what can I do?

Yes, you can claim a Foreign Tax Credit for the tax paid on your foreign capital gains.

The foreign stock sale is entered in the same manner as a US stock sale.

Here's detailed info to help you:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4862772

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TurboUser

Thanks for the answer, this tells me where to enter the stock sale income. But how do I claim the foreign tax credit paid, from Turbotax?
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Type 'foreign tax credit' in the FIND window, and 'Jump to foreign tax credit'.. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302405">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302405</a>

Please help! The link above just leads to the "Turbo Tax Support has moved" screen -- with a blank search window. 

I cannot find where to enter the foreign Tax paid on capital gains from sales of mutual funds. The interview never asks for it... like it asks for tax paid on income, interest, dividends. Even when I go to Forms mode I cannot see a box for taxes paid on cap gains from sales of funds/stocks. Yet, many TT Help answers reference this... Help please!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Type 'foreign tax credit' in the FIND window, and 'Jump to foreign tax credit'

This allows you to enter foreign tax credit for interest, earned income etc. but not capital gains. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this.

Doesn't work for capital gains!

nzdunic

Did you receive an answer to this question?  

I too will have the same issue and expect to pay capital gains tax in Australia on gains from the sales of stocks there.

Thanks,

Nick

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies