turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I adjust cost basis of remaining stock to correct for a cost reporting error on a prior sale?

I bought 400 shares of stock. When I sold 300 of the shares in 2004, I accidentally understated the cost and overstated the gain by $150 and paid too much tax. It is too late to file an amended return, but can I increase the cost basis of the remaining 100 shares by $150 to compensate for the error? I am using the FIFO cost basis method.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I adjust cost basis of remaining stock to correct for a cost reporting error on a prior sale?

No.

As you say it is too late to file an amendment.  It looks impossible to claim a refund because of your prior error in cost basis. Per the IRS:

File within three-year time limit. Generally, to claim a refund, taxpayers must file a Form 1040X within three years from the date they timely filed their original tax return or within two years from the date the person pays the tax – usually April 15 – whichever is later. 

You can make a case for a basis change if you have two items of fact: (1) proof of purchase date(s) for the remaining 100 shares and (2) stock price(s) for the stock purchase date(s). These you might get from

a lookup on Yahoo Finance, Morningstar, etc.  If you can't find stock prices on Yahoo, Morningstar. etc, try writing the company you own to get historical prices form them. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies