turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mark16

Brighthouse sent form 1099B with proceeds of $32.02 in box 1d, then the info sent me to form 8949 but it's not clear what to do.

We reported on 1099B proceeds from Brighthouse and as a result TT asks questions we can't answer because none of them were applicable.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
mark16

Brighthouse sent form 1099B with proceeds of $32.02 in box 1d, then the info sent me to form 8949 but it's not clear what to do.

No. We didn't sell anything, We were sent a check from Brighthouse for #32.02.  So, can you provide futher info?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The area where the Form 1099B is entered requires certain information to be filled in.  These instructions should eliminate the error. When you enter investment sales or exchanges in TurboTax, we'll automatically fill out Form 8949 and transfer the info to Schedule D. You don't need to fill out the 8949 yourself.

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for "1099-B" or "1099B" (lower-case also works) and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any investments in 2017?
    • If you see Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales.
    • If you're in Free Edition or Online Deluxe, follow the instructions to upgrade to Premier.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. At Choose your bank or brokerage or Let Us Enter Your Investment Sale Info, choose how you want to enter your 1099-B (import or type it in yourself).
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Enter the date of sale
  • Acquisition date can be various
  • Enter a description of the stock
  • Cost basis can be zero
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@mark This is treated like a sale for tax purposes.
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@mark If you have more questions I will help.  The information must be reported in this manner on your tax return.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies