Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are passive K1 losses carried forward if you do not qualify for special allowance?

I have a large loss from a passive K1 rental activity.  However my MAGI is above the limit where i can apply that loss to my ordinary income.  Can i carry forward the extra such that if next year I do qualify for the special allowance or have other passive income gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Are passive K1 losses carried forward if you do not qualify for special allowance?

Yes. Form 8582 is required. TurboTax will populate form 8582 and file it with your tax return.

Next year, when you import the 2021 tax return to start you 2022 tax return, that suspended loss will be carried over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. These passive losses are suspended and can be used to offset future passive income.

Thanks.  Do you know if i have to fill out a special form to do that (8252? - right now it shows up in that form as unallowed loss)? Or will TT automatically carry it forward for me?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. Form 8582 is required. TurboTax will populate form 8582 and file it with your tax return.

Next year, when you import the 2021 tax return to start you 2022 tax return, that suspended loss will be carried over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies