turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Airbnb deductions. When I enter actual expenses to a airbnb room/bath I rent out it only credits a percentage. Exp: toilet paper. How do I get credit for actual cost

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Airbnb deductions. When I enter actual expenses to a airbnb room/bath I rent out it only credits a percentage. Exp: toilet paper. How do I get credit for actual cost

If you had expenses that are specific to the rental portion of your property, look for that section at the end of the rental expenses interview. The page title is "Any Miscellaneous Expenses?" and the instructions tell you to enter only those expenses that should not be allocated (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). Anything you enter on this page will be a 100% deduction for your rental.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If you had expenses that are specific to the rental portion of your property, look for that section at the end of the rental expenses interview. The page title is "Any Miscellaneous Expenses?" and the instructions tell you to enter only those expenses that should not be allocated (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). Anything you enter on this page will be a 100% deduction for your rental.

wana305

Where is this screen located??

I rent a couple of rooms out on Airbnb in my primary residence.  Though I did not reap any income in 2021 due to COVID I do have expenses.  I remodeled the guest bathroom and bought new bedding etc for the room.  I am not getting the option on turbotax to write off these expenses.  Please will you guide me where to find this option.

Thanks

Julie Mitchell

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@jrmitch  Open your return, go to Wages and Income.  Scroll down to Rental Property.  Click on that and enter the information about your rental property and $0 as the total income received.  Then enter the expenses that you have.

Carl
Level 15

I remodeled the guest bathroom

That particular cost is not an "expense" per-se. It's a property improvement that gets entered in the assets/depreciation section and depreciated over time. It is not a direct deduction, since it gets classified as rental real estate. If that bath is for the exclusive use of the guest with no personal use "ever", then the cost of that remodel is 100% business use.

Hello

Thank you, I just missed that.  However now I have another issue and spent over an hour on the phone with Intuit yesterday with his.  It remains unresolved.  I have to start my taxes from the start (delete everything and start again due to information entered which I should not have) and have deleted everything.  Though the Federal Review at the end of Fed portion still populates with the $12,550 standard deduction and the $1400 stimulus credit which I did not receive.  How do I completely delete that so I can start with a clean slate, please?

Hoping you can resolve for me. 

Thanks 

Julie M

Thank you Carl 🙂

Carl
Level 15

How do I completely delete that so I can start with a clean slate, please?

If you're using the CD version of the program that you installed on your computer, look in the documents\turbotax directory and delete the .tax2021 file. Then when you start the program its as if you just installed it and are starting it for the first time.

If you're using the online version and have already registered or paid your online fees, then you can't clear the return and start over. Otherwise, the ability the clear and start over is somewhere in the TOOLS menu on the left.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies