Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Agency Payment to Landlord (1099-MISC) and Rental Income

In 2022, some tenants had problems paying rent and they got help from some humanitarian agencies. In my first attempt in Turbotax, I had recorded these payments made to me as Revenue for the Property the tenant lived in, then I got the 1099-MISC sent to my by the agency. To avoid double-counting i.e. recording this payment as rent revenue for the property and also recording it as revenue when filling all 1099_MISC i received,, can somebody tell me how to handle this.

Should I just not record the payment made by the agency as rent and just record it as a 1099-MISC revenue to me; this approach will off course understate the rent collected for each property but this is the only way I know to avoid doublecounting and still record the 1099-MISC in turbotax.

I need expert advice on this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

are they both the same amount? then use one or the other since using both you would be recording the same income twice. 

it doesn't matter which is used. not using the 1099-Misc saves you some entry time because on schedule E all you need to report is the total rent received. tell Turbotax no 1099 was received and delete it . 

Carl
Level 15

You already know the total rent received for a property for the tax year. Enter the 1099-MISC as printed. That will be less than the total rent actually received for any one property for the entire tax year.  enter the 1099-MISC income in the rental income section specifically for 1099-MISC income. Then just enter the rest of the rent for the tax year in the section called "Other rental income not reported on a 1099-MISC or 1099-K" and press on. The total should add up to the total income received for that property for the tax year.

It flat out does not matter which rental property you assign the 1099-MISC too, as the IRS only receives the "bottom line total" and that's it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies