turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whellier

TurboTax handles division of jointly owned rental income, but it is not clear if it does so for selling the property. Should I enter only my share or the total amount?

Rental property was house inherited by two brothers and a sister, so there was 1/3 ownership for each. Property was sold to tenants after two months.

TurboTax Premier asks for percentage of ownership and allocates rental income and expenses proportionately, but it is unclear if it does so for the sale of the rental property.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
whellier

TurboTax handles division of jointly owned rental income, but it is not clear if it does so for selling the property. Should I enter only my share or the total amount?

After stepping through the section again, I realized that the instructions clearly say that only the personal amount should be used - in this case, 1/3 of the total.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
whellier

After stepping through the section again, I realized that the instructions clearly say that only the personal amount should be used - in this case, 1/3 of the total.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies