turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AABA cash liquidation and stock sells

Hi community,

I had AABA shares and received cash liquidation reported in 2019 1099-DIV box 9.  Based on the relevant threads here, this cash liquidation is partial as there will be distributions in 2nd half of 2020 and 2022. I also sold all AABA shares before it went off the market. I am curious how I should report the capital gains in my tax return.

To simplify, let's assume the following for discussions:
1. My cost basis is $70. The shares were acquired on 2/10/2012.

2. Cash liquidation distribution is $200 (box 9 in 1099-DIV). Liquidation date was 9/26/2019.

3. I sold all shares on 10/1/2019. Sell price is $50.

For my tax return this year:

1. I fully recovered my basis from the liquidation distribution, thus I need to report $130 ($200 - $70) as long-term capital gain. 
2. My adjusted cost basis is becoming $0 because it's fully recovered

3. I also need to report $50 ($50 - $0) as long-term capital gain from stock sells

4. Together, I have $180 ($130 + $50) for long-term capital gain

5. Since I sold all my shares, is the liquidation I received last year is considered final? Will I get more distributions in the future (H2 2020, 2022)?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hey @EclatC , how are you reporting this? I'm on the same boat. Got the distribution and a few days later sold all shares. Since I sold all shares I believe this distribution will be the final one. I'm assuming I need to report full capital gains for the 1099-DIV and use the cost basis for the 1099-B.

I used the way I described in original post. If your cost basis was recovered from liquidation distribution, then your cost basis for 1099B remain unchanged, which is $0

I ended up doing that too. I just had to figure out the cost basis. And since I had some espp too I had to figure out the ordinary income part of it too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies