Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1st yr diesel mechanic. Spent $10,000 on tools + $6,000 on toolbox. Can I write it all off? Or must I depreciate the toolbox? Does type of credit effect year claimed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyT

1st yr diesel mechanic. Spent $10,000 on tools + $6,000 on toolbox. Can I write it all off? Or must I depreciate the toolbox? Does type of credit effect year claimed?

Unfortunately, you are required to capitalize (treat as an asset rather than an expense) the toolbox, as well as any of the tools that cost more than $2,500 individually.

You may, however, be able to "expense" the cost of the toolbox by utilizing the section 179 provision.  This provision allows you to, effectively, fully depreciate the cost of a long-lived asset that is considered personal property (not real estate).  

Please note that section 179 cannot be used to generate a loss - any amount of section 179 claimed in excess of your profits will be carried over to potentially be used in future years.

I am not self employed. I receive a W2. Does that make a difference? Also some things were purchased using extended credit and some using revolving credit through a vendor (Snap on) at work.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies