Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

4msweeney

1099b form line 1g I have disallowed wash sale with no adjustment code, TurboTax insist on a code? what can I do?

1099b form line 1g I have disallowed wash sale with no adjustment code, TurboTax insist on a code? what can I do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

1099b form line 1g I have disallowed wash sale with no adjustment code, TurboTax insist on a code? what can I do?

The code for wash sales is W.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The code for wash sales is W.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried it and it worked (at least the form completed). I will have to see if it actually adjusted my profit and loss. "W" isn't on my 1099-B instructions.

The code just tells IRS why you are adjusting.

The broker 1099-B already has all the calculations done for you.

(some are posting here that certain brokers have problems in this area. Not getting the code would be one indication).

Yes but the TurboTax form just asks for box 1d and box 1e and then I put in total adjustments from box 1g. So my net income is (box 1d - box 1e) + box 1g. TT did do the calculation correctly when I checked I checked in forms view in the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet and Form 8949. The broker calculated the net income but TT never asked for that but the TT calculation is equal to the broker calculation.

Imij

I entered "W" and now I get the error saying "adjustment code should not contain code W". What do I do?

Don't try to enter "W".

enter only the amount of adjustment as a disallowed loss

TurboTax insists on putting that code in  itself.

You can't use code W on transactions that are not Box A or Box D

Imij

but when I don't put a code in TurboTax insists that a code be there for me to file, it's not putting one in on its own. What do I do about this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies