turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RM34

1099-B Error Various Error

When I enter my 1099-B the software says that for one transaction says that the date acquired is missing and needs to be entered.  However, that's not true.  For this transaction it was acquired on various dates and that's how I've entered it...multiple times now.  But there seems to be a bug where it thinks a date is missing even though I am POSITIVE it is not.  Can you please fix this bug?  I can't efile without a fix. 

You also shouldn't assume people can give you a date when it's possible the an index fund was bought on various dates. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I agree, So we do give you the option to enter Various.

There is a procedure for entering Various into you investment transactions.

Open (continue) your return if it isn't already open.

1. Income & Expenses
  2. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
    • If you see Here's the info we have for these investment sales, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. At Let's get your tax info, choose how you want to enter your 1099-B (type it in yourself)
  6. Select the pencil to work on the transaction
  7. In the date area there are two bullets.
    • On one Date, and
    • Something other than a Date
  8. Select Something other than a Date
  9. There is a drop down menu for Various.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gunadis

I have the same error and re-typing the date manually does not fix the issue.

RM34

I’ve entered the date as various. The problem is that the software thinks that’s date is needed when I’ve provided it one by selecting various. 

For some reason the issue is only happening on one transaction—the last one. Other transactions have the various option selected and I don’t have an issue. I’ve tried manually rentering the transaction and had no luck. I’m reasonably confident it’s not user error and an actual bug in the code.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

This is only a guess, but do you have a Box Code X.  you should determine if it is a Long or Short term transaction and change the code to Code B (ST) or E (LT).

There are seven possible "Box" designations that indicate the holding period (Long/Short Term) and the reporting status. 

Code A. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Schedule D (Form 1040), line 1a, or on Form 8949 with box A checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 1b.

Code B. This code indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Form 8949 with box B checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 2.

Box C. Report on a Part I with box C checked all short-term transactions for which you can't check box A or B because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code D. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Schedule D (Form 1040), line 8a, or on Form 8949 with box D checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 8b.

Code E. This code indicates a long-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is not being reported to the IRS. Use this code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Form 8949 with box E checked, with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040), line 9.

Box F.  Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies