Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jli8
Returning Member

1, need definition of legal state residency ? 2. can i claim my home if i live in a room while renting the rest area to a renter in the middle of this year ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1, need definition of legal state residency ? 2. can i claim my home if i live in a room while renting the rest area to a renter in the middle of this year ?

Each state has it's own definition ... you did not mention which states are involved.
Carl
Level 15

There is no clear cut definition, as each state has their own requirements. But generally:

- The state where you own or rent property that you live in as your primary residence (with your family if married)

- The state where you are registered to vote.

- The state where you pay property taxes

- The state where your vehicle(s) are registered

- The state that issued you your driver's license.

- The state where your kids (if any) are registered in school and actually attend that school.

- The state where you pay income tax if said state taxes personal income.

Thess are just general guidelines that may not be all inclusive. Each individual state has their own requirements for being considered a resident of that state and not all the above criteria may apply to a specific state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies