Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This is not related to a credit score this is related to my tax return being done incorrectly

I did my tax return incorrectly. Your format will not allow me to correct it. I thought I was doing 2018 but it was 2019 however, all of the information is incorrect. It has to be completely redone. How do I do that? I was trying to do 2018 not 2019. I hit send way before the tax return was completed and now I am told by a tax professional that it has to beCompletely redone. How can you void it out on your end? I have someone to prepare the tax that is going to do it for free for me and if you do it it is going to cost me money that I do not have. Please help me. Let me know how to finish this problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

This is not related to a credit score this is related to my tax return being done incorrectly

The TurboTax online editions are Only for tax year 2019.

If you filed the 2019 tax return with 2018 tax data the IRS will be sending you a letter questioning the tax return.

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Did you do this?

Sign onto your TurboTax account and the status of the federal tax return will be displayed - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

What is the status of the federal tax return?  If the status is Accepted the tax return was e-filed and received by the IRS.  If the status is anything other than Accepted then the tax return was not e-filed.

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

If you hit send then did it get Accepted or Rejected?   You can check your efile status here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If it rejected there is nothing  you need to do.  It didn't go anywhere.  Is someone doing your 2018 or 2019 return?  

If you sent it and it was Accepted then it got filed as your 2019 return.  So you will need to Amend it to be actually for 2019.  

Nobody but you can change or fix your return.  

If you transmitted a 2019 tax return online using 2018 information, you will need to file an amended 2019 tax return containing the correct 2019 tax information.  You can do this online, or have someone help you, but you should wait for the IRS to process the 2018 return first.  They will likely pay your claimed refund, and then send an automatic letter that your information is wrong in about 6 months.  After they pay your refund and before you get the letter is when you should file the amended return.

If you paid the fee (or registered the free version) but did not transmit, then you have two choices.  1, simply walk away and take your information to someone else to file a correct 2019 return.  2, you can clear your return and start over, but if you already paid, you have to call customer support. The hours are 9-5 M-F.  Use this link to get a phone number.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

In either case, you also need to file your 2018 information using the 2018 forms.  You can have someone else do this for you or you can purchase and download a copy of Turbotax for 2018 to install on your own computer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies