turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Has anyone ever consolidated credit cards into a personal loan?

I am trying to decide to go with lender or bank. Did you get a decent interest rate

Years ago after a home purchase I took out a personal loan with my bank and it was 14K at 10.19%. With Lending Club I borrowed 35K at 14.52%. I think it depends on other individual factors such as debt to income ratio (mine was high), so you could stand to get much better rates than me. Get a quote from both.

I called my bank and got full details before committing. Same with Lending Club, they had a myriad of plan options to choose from before making the final decision.

Thank you so much

Which company did you go with?

Another suggestion is to take a plastic container, fill it with water, and add your credit cards, then pop them in the freezer so they are in a solid block of ice.  They are still with you, but it will take a while for the ice to melt so you can use them.  A cure for impulse buys, but they are there if you really need them.

I don't remember where I read this, but it sounds like it might work for you.

Yes, I have done it in a couple of different ways. First thing you must be committed to is to change your spending habits before you consider doing a consolidation loan. Never spend more than you can afford to pay off each month on any cards that now have a zero balance. If you do, you'll find yourself worst off in a year than you are now.

My first method was a balance transfer loan from another credit card company. They offered 0% for 24 months. There was a 3% transfer charge. So say if my credit card balance was 10,000, the total loan was 10,300. I was committed to getting this paid off in the 24 months so I made equal payments of roughly $430 a month. If you go this route, you must be COMMITTED to get your spending under control and pay off in the allotted time. Otherwise interest rate increased to over 20% apr after 24 month period. I probably saved thousands of dollars with this method.

I have also used Prosper to consolidate my CC balances. Depending upon your credit rating, you can get a 3 to 5 year loan from around 6% up to 15% apr. Both methods will benefit you if you dont put new charges on your existing CCs. It will definitely hurt you if you continue to accrue balances on your CCs.

Do some research and find out what will work best for you. If you have a long standing history with your bank or credit union, you may get a lower interest rate on a loan.

Good luck. It feels great not having all that CC debt looming over you every month. BTW, my credit rating went up considerably a few months after I paid off my CCs. My CR is in the low 800s now. One more advantage to paying them off!

Hi, I was wondering who you went through? I want to do this so I can improve my score.

I went through Hickam Federal Credit Union. But most banks will do a consolidation loan. You just need to shop around for interest rates. Just ask them about it and get all the info. Contact me if you need anything else or have anymore questions.

I know this thread is old but for anyone considering it I wanted to recommend checking out Best Egg because I was denied a bank personal loan but got approved with them and I have been really happy with them overall! There are no early payoff fees, hidden interest, etc. They even have flexible payment options if you need to skip a payment (I don't recommend doing this but its nice they offer it so your credit doesn't get hurt if you cant make the large payment one month trying to pay down your debt quickly) I did a 3 year term to get my debt paid of quickly so the monthly payment is very high but it is worth it if you want to get out of debt! I agree with everyone's advice too about keeping your credit card accounts open but cutting up your credit cards and trying to change your spending habits. It is really hard once you get this loan because you still have the same payments each month and cash flow is still just as tight and now you have these open cards it is really tempting to use them. Just keep moving in the right direction and paying off debt the best you can. Good luck to everyone out there in this same battle! Our generation got started off on the wrong foot with all this student debt and it creates a mess for the rest of our finances right out of the gate.

I’m not sure how much they approved you for but how was your interest rate?

Thanks all

Not great but lower than my cards 16%

What loan company did you use? Sounds like a great idea for my situation.

Most of my cards are around 14-16%. I have no store cards. I think I need to pay some down to improve my credit score so I can get a better rate

Best Egg

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies