turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Has anyone ever consolidated credit cards into a personal loan?

Which company did you go through for your personal loan.

Mrsladyj
Returning Member

A deletion expert told me that I could get a loan pay off the card then pay him with the card and my loans so it'll be one payment 

I’m trying to pay off all credit cards, if I get a personal loan pay off then credit card and then turn around to pay the deletion expert. I would be back in the same position using my credit cards.
CST63

This should be a last resort option.  If you can only make the minimum payments then you are spending more than you can afford.  Start by putting your credit card(s) somewhere other than your wallet.  Look at the interest rates on your cards and start by paying extra on the highest rate card.  Even if you pay $5 or $10 extra a month that will help pay down your balance.  Ideally you should look at the amount of interest you are paying each month and paying at least that much extra to help lower the interest paid.  Pay the minimum due on the other cards until you get one card paid in full.  Then take the amount you were paying on that card and add it to the minimum payment on the next highest interest rate card.  Continue this until you have paid off all your credit cards.  If you have a car loan add the amount saved from the paid off cards to your car payment until you pay it in full.  This will reduce the amount of interest you pay as well as the amount of time on the loan.  When you are debt free take the amount of the car payment and put that in your savings account to be used for emergencies.  You should have at least six months worth of income set aside for emergencies, a year's worth is much better.  

Tax laws are changing so keep an eye on home mortgage interest, within the next couple of years we may not be able to deduct this from our taxes.  You might want to look at setting up a fund for your mortgage that can be used to pay down your mortgage if we can no longer deduct the interest.  

I just did that last week and I’m glad I did. Just make sure you are not paying more than what you have been paying separately with the payments all together with you credit card debt or it’s pointle

Who did you go through, my concern is being scammed. Since there seem to be so many choices.

Same here. Getting ready to finish paying off 33K in the next month. I went thru Lending Club. Love them!!!

I did mine through navy federal

Did the consolidation work for you? Do you have a good credit score?

Did that last year, didnt want to wait for my refund to pay off my card so I got a very low interest loan from my bank (it was low becuase I choose the 3 year pay off.) If I payed it off before the first year I would haveto pay a charge, so I used the money to invest (becuase my refund at that point could pay it off at any time) and payed it off after the end of 1rst year. Hiked my credit score too to around 750!!

I'm almost finished paying mine off and each month my scores goes up, up, up. Also this month all three bureaus removed an erroneous derogatory mark and I went from a 648 to 791 with Experian. Before the derogatory hit several months ago, my Experian had come up to 760 from 660. Then dropped really low but was climbing with each payment I made to Lending Club. I will kiss the ground once I pay it all off! This stuff really works!

Did you change your spending habits

Indeed. That's the only way my scores continued to go up each month. If not, they would have stayed the same.

Did you get a loan or did you balance transfer to a card with 0% intro rate

Did you get a decent rate with lending club? Sorry for all the questions. I am in the same boat and I am trying to decide to do a lender like that or a bank
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies