turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040 rejected but did Credit card payment go through???

Regarding a message Turbotax sent back to me, after I electronically filed,  saying that the IRS rejected my tax return because of a problem with the AGI.  The question I want to know is, whether my credit card has already been processed????  If so, then should I just simply mail in my 1040 tax form to the IRS????  Or, does the payment need to accompany my tax form???  Or who can I contact about this?  Trying to get anyone on the [phone number removed] number is fruitless.  The electronic answering is simply not setup properly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It was rejected because the AGI from the previous year's return was incorrect. My question to you is if the credit card payment you are talking about was for Turbo Tax Fees or for taxes due on the return?

Meanwhile to find out what the AGI was for 2020, look on line 11 on your 2020 tax return, if you have a copy. If you don't have a copy and if you used Turbo Tax Online in 2020, go to:

1. log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to Your Tax Returns and Documents
  3. Select 2020
  4. View Adjusted Gross income(AGI)

If you are unable to do the steps above, try entering 0 as the AGI. If none of these work, print and mail the return. if you owe taxes and if you chose the payment to be a direct debit from a credit card, that information will not be retained if you have to print and mail the return. There will be a 1040 V form in the return that you will submit payment with. Complete mailing and filing instructions will be included with the paperwork in your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Dave, and that is all good, but that didn't really answer my question.  Again, the question is:

"Whether my credit card has already been processed????  If so, then should I just simply mail in my 1040 tax form????  Or, does the payment need to accompany my tax form"???  

taxgator

I agree and also want a clear answer. If the e-file is rejected for any reason, is the credit card payment I submitted to pay the IRS Balance Due not processed by the IRS and the current Pending Status on my credit card payment will eventually reverse itself?  Obviously, the fear is sending a check and then getting hit with the credit card charge anyway.  Thank you!

Yes, I have the same question. My return was rejected and credit card amount to IRS was pending. After resubmitting a couple hours later with 0 in AGI it was accepted but my credit card never was debited and the pending is gone. It has been a week.  Should I write a check to IRS?

Hello!

The first reply I got was: "If your credit or banking information was on your tax return, and the tax return was rejected, then nothing was sent to the IRS. They do not have your payment. The payment was not made. TurboTax does not make the payment for you or send it separately if it did not go with
your tax return". 

I find this a little hard and disconcerting to believe, since in the agreement you must click on before sending on your form, there is a clause that states Turbotax has it's vendors, (unidentified), handling the charges, and they charge you a fee that is suppose to be separate of what the IRS will charge your credit card.  If you say that your credit card had pending charges on it, it becomes rather obvious that a transaction was attempted on your credit card.  Even if the charges are rejected from the IRS, nothing is said about what the vendors might end up charging you.   The thing that really bother's me, is that TurboTax gives you no assurances of what happens to credit card charges once you e-file, no way of interacting with their credit card vendors, and no return receipts of any transactions, no direct phone number to the IRS office that handles credit card charges.   

There isn't an IRS office that handles credit card charges, that's why no number there.  It goes through an intermediary (the IRS doesn't accept credit cards directly).   There should be some way to contact that intermediary, though.  

I know if you choose ACH (which is the IRS directly processing) that nothing goes to the IRS if your return is rejected but it seems like with the credit cards something IS going somewhere.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you paid the IRS online, they are paid. The rejected return can be corrected and refiled up to 5 days after the deadline.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi TurboTax:

My initial E-File was rejected due to IND-507. I already found the questions I answered differently from previous years that caused the rejection. I used the "Charge my credit card" option on my initial E-File and I see the charges in my credit card transactions. With the corrections the "Federal Tax Due" increased. TurboTax wants to process the total "Federal Tax Due", not the increase. Will the original credit card charges for "Charge my credit card" be automatically reversed/canceled/credited, once I E-File again?

Thanks in advance!

I checked with my bank about the missing posting of the credit card payment i authorized when E-filing my original rejected return.  As I suspected they said  they had no record of the transaction.

I followed up with Intuit Customer Service and explained the situation. The agent repeated my concern back to me then asked for time to research. He never really understood my issue and he would go off to research for several minutes and come back with information that didn't apply to my concern. Also, I could not understand some of his English. After about an hour  of going back and forth the call dropped. I received an Email stating my case number was closed and a link for a survey.

They should offer Pay Pal for payments to IRS.   Pay Pal agents can be contacted about charges and will resolve them in a knowledgeable customer friendly way.

Hi, community!

Follow-up: Spent an hour on the phone with TurboTax support. The "personal" recommendation from the customer service rep is to E-File a second time with the "Mail a check" option. The customer service rep hopes/expects the original credit card charge to reach IRS and not be canceled/reverted.

My $0.02 to Intuit/TurboTax is to process the tax due credit card charge(s) AFTER the E-File(s) is/are accepted. It is a win-win solution, the customer can be told in the reject email/notification that the credit card charge was not done, and Intuit/TurboTax reduces customer support requests for all related use cases plus does not have to code a new use case in the software. Only losers are the parties that make money out of the mishandling customers' money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies