Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim deductions from my TEFL certification course taken in 2016? They don't sent 1098t because they aren't a financial aid offering school.

The school said they don't offer financial aid so I won't receive a 1098t. How else can I claim that deduction?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Can I claim deductions from my TEFL certification course taken in 2016? They don't sent 1098t because they aren't a financial aid offering school.

You probably cannot claim a deduction or credit for your TEFL course. 

To be deductible as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction, the education must enhance or maintain your skills in your present occupation and cannot qualify you for a new trade or business. As I understand it, the TEFL credential is a qualification for the specialized occupation of a teacher of English as a foreign language. Unless you are already an English teacher, this would appear to be a new trade or business.

In order for expenses to qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit, your educational expenses must have been paid to an eligible educational institution.

"An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, vocational school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

This includes most accredited public, nonprofit and privately-owned–for-profit postsecondary institutions.

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies