turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a student loan consolidation and received a 1098-E. Since I did not actually pay this interest, do I still report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I had a student loan consolidation and received a 1098-E. Since I did not actually pay this interest, do I still report it?

Yes, you can report the student loan interest on a consolidated loan. When you consolidated - you paid off the accrued interest on the loans, and this portion is deductible. The maximum deduction is up to $2500.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can report the student loan interest on a consolidated loan. When you consolidated - you paid off the accrued interest on the loans, and this portion is deductible. The maximum deduction is up to $2500.

Thank you, I have been on hold for over 50 minutes with Turbotax waiting for that simple answer of yes or no. Thank you for your prompt response!

My question relates to this as I consolidated my loans but the interest paid on my 1098-e is over 2500.00. do i enter the number on my 1098-e or can I only enter 2500? Please advise. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

It is best practice to enter your tax forms into TurboTax just as you received them.  

So, in your case, you would enter the number reported on Form 1098-E even though it does exceed $2500.00.  The program will then apply the adjustment limitation of $2500.00 on your return. 

@BrianaMcElroy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies