turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pmac4483

Education tax credit

My Daughter is my dependent and getting a four year degree. She has a full scholarship that covers tuition within 200.00. Otherwise the only costs are paying for books and small things like parking pass. Is there any point in putting in for the education credits, if her tuition if almost fully paid? Is there any benefit? I am  not sure how they work...but it seems like its only to offset the cost of tuition and books. Her books were only around 500.00 and I doubt she has receipts. My income is 44 per year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Education tax credit

Yes - There is a benefit of entering your daughter's education expenses, even though most are covered by the scholarship.

You could still get a credit using the tuition not covered by the scholarship and the book expenses.  Just enter the amounts in TurboTax and it will calculate the credit for you.  There are two credits available:

• American Opportunity Credit (AOC) is up to $2,500 per student (100% of the first $2,000 of expenses; 25% of the next $2,000)
  • Lifetime Learning Credit - up to $2,000 per return (20% of up to $10,000 in expenses)

With the AOC you could possibly get a credit of 100% of the expenses you incurred ($200 tuition balance + $500 books).  Another benefit of the AOC is that part of it is refundable.  A refundable credit is one you get even if your tax balance is zero!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Education tax credit

Yes - There is a benefit of entering your daughter's education expenses, even though most are covered by the scholarship.

You could still get a credit using the tuition not covered by the scholarship and the book expenses.  Just enter the amounts in TurboTax and it will calculate the credit for you.  There are two credits available:

• American Opportunity Credit (AOC) is up to $2,500 per student (100% of the first $2,000 of expenses; 25% of the next $2,000)
  • Lifetime Learning Credit - up to $2,000 per return (20% of up to $10,000 in expenses)

With the AOC you could possibly get a credit of 100% of the expenses you incurred ($200 tuition balance + $500 books).  Another benefit of the AOC is that part of it is refundable.  A refundable credit is one you get even if your tax balance is zero!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies