turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off the tuition from the community college if my students are taking them as dual credit and have not graduated high school yet?

As homeschoolers, we pay tuition to the community college. Can I write off the tuition paid even though they have not graduated yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I write off the tuition from the community college if my students are taking them as dual credit and have not graduated high school yet?

Yes, since the courses are dual credit courses. You don't actually deduct ("write off') the tuition you paid. You use it to calculate the "LLC".

The ability of the parent of a high school student to claim the credit or deduction is limited.  If these courses are provided by an eligible college, this cost qualifies for the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC). The school must have policy of granting college credit for that course, already taken, if the student ever enrolls there. In other words, it is a requirement that the course be a college credit course, even if the student isn't currently a college student. It’s not that  the student is post secondary, it’s that the course is post secondary. Books are not  a qualifying expense, unless included in the course fee.

The school may (probably) send you a form 1098-T for the tuition paid.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, since the courses are dual credit courses. You don't actually deduct ("write off') the tuition you paid. You use it to calculate the "LLC".

The ability of the parent of a high school student to claim the credit or deduction is limited.  If these courses are provided by an eligible college, this cost qualifies for the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC). The school must have policy of granting college credit for that course, already taken, if the student ever enrolls there. In other words, it is a requirement that the course be a college credit course, even if the student isn't currently a college student. It’s not that  the student is post secondary, it’s that the course is post secondary. Books are not  a qualifying expense, unless included in the course fee.

The school may (probably) send you a form 1098-T for the tuition paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies