Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Why is my daughter 1099Q income showing up as taxable? It should be offset by 1098T, but because she is my dependent, it will not take 1098T information...broken?

TT will only give you the room and board screen, in the education expenses section,  if you previously entered the 1099-Q.  To get the screen to enter Room & Board, answer yes when asked if you have book expenses.

Student dependents are (almost) never eligible for a tuition credit. 

Why are you entering anything on the student's return. Nothing mentioned above indicates that she has any of the reasons for entering education info.

1. She has taxable scholarship
  2. Some of the 1099-Q is taxable
  3. She can claim a credit

The 1099-Q and the  1098-T are only informational documents. The numbers on them are not required to be entered onto your (or your student's) tax return.

mkttaxer
Returning Member

Why is my daughter 1099Q income showing up as taxable? It should be offset by 1098T, but because she is my dependent, it will not take 1098T information...broken?

At this point, I am confused and very frustrated about the proper way of going about this whole issue of reporting education expenses and scholarships/grants. The TT program is terrible at this!!

I am preparing my daughter's return for her. The first time I entered her information into TT, it came out that she owed $500+ in taxes, which I knew wasn't correct. I think this was because I was reporting the 1099-Q in her return and the 1098-T in our return (the joint return for my wife and me), so she then didn't have any expenses reported to offset the income from the 1099-Q (or something to that effect- I don't remember exactly because I have made several iterations of our returns since then).

I then started making different versions of her return and our return, trying out different ways of doing it to see what the end result was. The bottom line for our joint return is we are over the income for qualifying for the American Opportunity Tax Credit. So, the only possibility was to explore whether my daughter could get the credit.

To this end, I made a version of her return where she was not claimed as a dependent but also did NOT provide more than half her support with earned income (and, yes, that question is specifically asked in the TT interview with no way around it). I entered both the 1099-Q and 1098-T information in her return since they are both in her name. And I included the room and board expenses in that version (apparently from what you say, because the 1099-Q was in her return). But after entering all the expenses and financial aid, the result was that she was ineligible for the AOTC. The only way I could get a result where she was eligible for the AOTC was if I selected that she DID provide more than half of her support with earned income. And even then, it capped it at a $1000 credit instead of the $2500, even though she had plenty of expenses to qualify for the full AOTC.

Her college expenses were enough to use $4000 of the expenses to fully claim the AOTC and far more than needed to exclude the 529 earnings from taxes. Just so you can see them, here is the breakdown of this for her return (following the approach you outlined earlier):

Qualified tuition and related expenses:                                     $16,310.50
Less scholarship/grant payments:                                                -$9,477.00
Less amount used to claim AOTC:                                                -$4,000.00
= Remaining expenses she can use to exclude 529 earnings: $2,833.50
+Other expenses that qualify to be paid from the 529:          +$6,980.11

(room & board, textbooks)                                                                                   
=Total expenses she can use to exclude 529 earnings:             $9,813.61

She only had $3106.71 of 529 earnings (it was a small 529), so as you can see there are far more remaining expenses than needed to exclude all the 529 earnings from being taxable.

But the bottom line for her is that she is not eligible for any of this since she did NOT provide more than half of her support with earned income (can't include the scholarship/grant monies for this).

So after all is said and done, it appears to me that no education expenses or scholarships need to be reported on either her return or our return since neither she or we are eligible for the AOTC, she had far more education expenses than scholarships and 529 earnings, and she won't pay taxes on the little earned income she had for the year. Is that correct?

In that case, we would claim her as our dependent so we can at least get the $500 credit for that.

If there is a way for my daughter to get a credit for her education expenses even though she did not provide more than half her support, then would you be able to give me specific instructions on how to enter it in the TT program?

Thanks again!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If there is a way for my daughter to get a credit for her education expenses even though she did not provide more than half her support?

A. No.  It would be highly unusual for an 18-19 year old freshman to qualify*. 

Q. So after all is said and done, it appears to me that no education expenses or scholarships need to be reported on either her return or our return. Is that correct?

A. Yes.

Q. And she won't pay taxes on the little earned income she had for the year. Is that correct?

A. Yes, if her earned income was less than $13,850. In fact, she is not required to file a tax return and would only do so if there was withholding in boxes 2 and/or 17 of her W-2 that she wants refunded. 

You say what the 529 earnings (box 2 of the 1099-Q)  were ($3106.71). But, you don't say what the distribution was (box1).  That's the number that needs to be less than the $9,813.61Total expenses she can use to exclude 529 earnings. 

*While, technically there is a provision that allows your student-dependent to claim a federal tuition credit, from a practical matter it seldom works out.  A student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion (the $1000 you saw) of the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) if he/she supports himself by working. She cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  
If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOTC shifts to all non refundable)

mkttaxer
Returning Member

Q. You say what the 529 earnings (box 2 of the 1099-Q) were ($3106.71). But, you don't say what the distribution was (box1).  That's the number that needs to be less than the $9,813.61Total expenses she can use to exclude 529 earnings.

A. Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $7389.06, so the 529 earnings can still be excluded. (Since she is not eligible for the AOTC, we could actually add the $4,000 back on as well).

"If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. ... The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOTC shifts to all non refundable)."

Question on this: would this include a scenario where a student has a tax liability from having more money from scholarships/grants than qualified expenses - so the student could then claim a non-refundable AOTC to recover the taxes paid? Although now that I think about it some more, that probably couldn't happen since the AOTC itself is for covering tuition?

Thanks for all your input and help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies