Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fox45

Where do I enter student fees for college? I already entered her tuition but there are additional fees we paid in order for her to attend

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AndreaG

Where do I enter student fees for college? I already entered her tuition but there are additional fees we paid in order for her to attend

Student activity fees are considered qualified education expenses if they were paid to the school as a condition of enrollment or attendance. 

To enter these expenses in Turbo Tax:

click on "take me to my return"

click on the "federal taxes" tab

click on "deductions and credits"

scroll down to "expenses and scholarships(form 1098T) and click on "edit"

when the "your education expenses summary" screen comes up, click "edit" next to the student's name

when the "here's your education summary" screen comes up, click "edit" next to the school name and tuition amount.

when the "Type in info from 1098T" screen comes up, scroll down to box 2. Underneath box 2, there is a link that says, "what if this isnt what I paid to the school?"  click on this link

After you click on the link, you will see an expanded version of the 1098T form. There is a shaded area between box 2 and box 3 that says, "enter tuition paid". You can enter the student fees in this box. However, the student fees should be in addition to the amount that is already in the box. So if the amount in the box is $4000 and student fees were $200, then total amount in this box should be $4200.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies