Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Where do I enter my 1098-T?

Start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

@aelsabbar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mgilenb

I didn't get a prompt for the 1098-T

@mgilenb wrote:

I didn't get a prompt for the 1098-T

To enter, edit or delete Education Expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Education
  • On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Or enter education expenses in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to education expenses

I had the same issue, but figured it out. (If you aren't already at the Deductions & Credits page yet where you can enter your 1098-T info, then click on the magnifying glass/search bar at the top, enter 1098t, then click on "Jump to 1098t" or "Go to 1098-T". From there, it will take you to "Now Let's Gather Your Additional Education Expenses". ) Continue through the prompts until you get to the "Your Education Expenses Summary" page then click Edit. Once on the "Here's Your Education Summary", click Edit by your school name.  From there, it will ask you "Did You get a 1098-T from ......?" and will prompt you to enter the info from your 1098-T form.  Hope this wasn't too confusing and helped 😄

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To summarize:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1098t" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098t
  • On the screen, Now Let's gather XYZ's Additional Education Expenses
  • Follow prompts
  • Next screen, Your Education Expenses Summary, select Edit
  • Next screen Here's Your Education Summary, under Tuition, select Edit to enter tuition information
  • See the images below.

UM21973

My situation is different, but certainly not unique.  I'm retired and in the state of Maine, after you reach age 65, you can audit courses at the University of Maine for free.  However, I received a 1098-T stating the amount of money I would have paid if I was taking the course for credit and/or as part of a degree program.  In Boxes 1 and 5, it lists $1800.  I think I may have to declare this amount as a kind of income... a gift... but I cannot find where or how to enter it.  I hope to continue to use Turbo Tax AND to audit classes... so I hope Turbo Tax figures this out.  For now, I'm going to look through my return one more time.  If I find a place to enter, I will.  If not, I will submit the return as it is now and hope I don't get into trouble.  I have called the Maine State Revenue Services, the University of Maine, and the IRS (tho I never got through to the IRS) and no one has been able to help.  

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

You are not eligible to claim an education credit or deduction on your tax return. In order to qualify for an education credit, you must actually pay for qualified education expenses. In your case, you were allowed to take courses for free. That is why your Form 1098-T showed an amount in Box 1 (qualified education expenses) and then the same amount in Box 5 (Scholarships or grants). You are only eligible to claim the education expenses that exceeded any scholarship or grant.

Please see IRS Publication 970 for more information.

@UM21973

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies