You would file your 1098-T (Tuition Statement) if you want to claim an Education Credit. This form is for informational purposes only; however the IRS already has a copy of this on file. When you enter your 1098-T, we use this and other information to determine the educational benefits you may be eligible for on your tax return, (such as the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit).
To enter your Form 1098-T in TurboTax, please complete the steps below:
- Sign in to your TurboTax account
- Click on Take me to my return button
- Select Federal Taxes tab (on left)
- Select the Deductions & Credits tab (on top)
- Scroll down to Education (Show More)
- Click on Start/Update next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
- Answer Yes, to did you receive a 1098-T and follow the Interview questions.
NOTE: If your parent(s) are claiming you as a dependent on their tax return that's who would take the Education Credit.