megan_swimgirl

Using the Montgomery GI bill. Student loans to pay for school. Box 5 of my 1098-t = 0. What amt do I put in the q about the amt. of VA benefits that went towards tuition?

I am trying to qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Filing standard deduction. I used student loans to pay for school and the benefits to pay for living expenses.

If I understand correctly $0 from my benefits went to tuition.

Anita01

It would be best for you t enter a zero there.  If you say your VA benefits went too pay tuition, then the tuition will not be able to be used to get a credit.  As long as your student loans provided enough to pay your tuition, then that tuition could be used towards a credit.  It's perfectly okay to do this as long as your VA benefits were not restricted to the payment of tuition.

Anita01